PART OF A VALENTINE DAY COLLAB! Light and fluffy cream puff recipes with strawberries and toasted almonds. I will also show you how you can easily achieve these beautiful heart shape desserts just in time for valentines day!
So this is my very first YouTuber Collaboration. Four of us new food YouTubers got together and worked together to bring you awesome recipes to get you into the spirit of Valentines Day. Each of us brings a unique Valentine’s day them recipe. Thought it might be good to give you some options and collaborations are suppose to help to promote each of our channels. Check them out and give a hit on that subscribe button if you like what you see. Click on the pictures at the end of this post to check them out!
I love cream puffs so for my video I thought I would make cream puffs especially for Valentines Day. Cream puffs in general are not hard to make and so impressive – btw that is my kind of recipe. In the spirit of Valentines, I make the pastries into hearts. I tried several ways to make them and by far the easiest was shaping the dough into hearts with a wet spoon and wet fingers. Make sure you check out my video to see how I do it exactly. I fill them with fresh strawberries and toasted almonds for an added OOMPH! Think of this as strawberry shortcake meets cream puff. I really can eat a million of these.
Another reason why I love this recipe is that you can freeze the finish product. So I am going to be making triple this recipe and pack it up into containers and popping them into the freezer. Just defrost it in the fridge for 4-5 hours before serving. Perfect when you going over to someone else’s houses and you don’t want to go empty handed!
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup cold whipping cream
- 2 tbsp confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup strawberries finely diced
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- For Pastry
- Premix flour and sugar
- Over medium high heat, melt butter and water and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, take off heat and add flour mixture and mix vigorously until combined.
- Put back onto heat and stir for 1 minute to dry out the dough a little (this lends to better absorption of the egg later).
- Add eggs 1/3 at a time and mix vigorously. The dough will separate but will come back together as you mix. When all the egg is combined, you are left with a glossy dough that slowly falls from the spoon.
- Pipe 16-20 1 inch rounds onto a line baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
- Using a small wet spoon, make large indents in the rounds. These will become the top of the hearts. (See YouTube Video)
- Using wet fingers, pinch the opposite ends of the rounds into the tips of the hearts (See YouTube Video).
- Bake it in the oven at 425F for 15 mins and then lower the heat to 350F for 8-10 minutes.
- Allow the pastry to cool on wired rack.
- For the Filling
- While baking the puffs, add cream, sugar and almond extract and whip in electric mixer for about 5 minutes or until stiff peaks.
- In a separate bowl combine the strawberries, sugar and vanilla and set aside.
- In a small frying pan on medium heat, toast almond slices for 3 mins. Mix the almonds for 1 minute over heat until the slices start to brown (optional).
- Putting the Cream Puffs Together
- Cut each of the pasties open and fill with a tsp of strawberries, a large dollop of whip cream and
- sprinkle with toasted almonds.
- Dust them with confectioners sugar, melted chocolate or even some condense milk.
Cream Puffs can be frozen and thawed for 1-2 hours on the counter before serving.
Other Videos in the Collaboration for more Valentine Treat Ideas: